Friday, January 05, 2007

David Olive on Loblaw's

Just noticed that the most insightful business columinst David Olive has a good column that gives some space to Loblaw's and its attempt at a turnaround. Loblaw's right now is what some people have referred to as a "value trap" -- it looks cheap, and unloved, but it may very well deserve its current fate with the way it's been run lately. Will they be able to get the ship sailing true again? I like how Olive has a long memory; I don't think I've seen another analysis of Loblaw's refer to the Sayvette outlets -- in fact, I've never even heard of them.

On a side note, I once worked at a company that did some contract web development work for Loblaw's and some of the other employee's used to gossip a fair bit about Galen Weston Jr. It's hard for me to shake that image of Weston as the kind of rich kid that supports the adage about the first generation making the money, the second generation maintaining it and the third losing it. Good luck, Loblaw's shareholders -- there may come a time I may join you, but that time is not now.

No comments:

Copyright (c) 2006-2007 CanuckInvestor